Sunday, August 10, 2014

Legacy Series Beauty

If you're in the market for a new cutaway, and have a generous budget, you might want to consider the gor-gor-gorgeous Takamine Legacy Series EF508KC - read EF508 Koa Cutaway. I'm a wood freak and although I don't have a koa guitar, koa is one of my favorite woods.



With a 25.3" scale length and a rosewood fingerboard, this NEX cutaway is THE instrument for the guitar traditionalist - like me.  I have one transparent black lacquer over natural wood finished axe, but my usual proclivity is toward gorgeous wood, like this Tak.   Both the body and neck have a gloss finish.

I know the raging debate out there about satin vs gloss necks. It's really a matter of personal taste. All of my guitars have gloss necks and before I broke my wrist, I know I never played better or faster on  satin neck guitars of friends.  Some guitarists won't play on anything else. Some won't play on anything but gloss.  Some don't care.  I suspect, but don't claim to know, that the decision for a  gloss neck was made for the aesthetic.  Takamine does make guitars with satin necks.

The list on this lovely cutaway is $1999, but street, from the big sellers is about $1400.  

She's a beauty.  If I could wave a magic wand and alter her in any way, I'd make her neck ebony - which, I grant you would not look as good, but I always pick ebony as a neck tone wood, when I have a choice.

Congratulations to Takamine for another beautiful Legacy Series instrument.

No comments:

Post a Comment